Tuesday 16 July 2019

Old Covenant >>> New Covenant (15)

Referencing Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola and George Barna


Barna, Tyndale House, 2002/8

5


Sunday Morning Costumes: covering up the problem, (Pagan Christianity, chapter 6 title)

Though it’s not widely known, the root meaning of the word invest is to get dressed; to clothe.  Small wonder clerical robes or “Sunday morning costumes” as Viola and Barna put it are sometimes more formally known as vestments.

Probably even less known is that the use of the word in its original sense is to change the appearance and/or perception of something.  In a literal sense, when I have a shower and get dressed, the getting dressed part is an investment: I invest myself; I clothe myself in my choice of attire.

Why do I clothe myself?  Most probably I do it for a range of reasons, from modesty to climate control.  Truth is though that, regardless of my motivation for getting dressed, my chief interest is to present myself or appear as something different from my naked self.  Whether I am protecting myself from the elements, trying to impress someone, or covering up my nakedness to avoid embarrassment or shame (or arrest!), I am deliberately re-presenting my body as something it is not beneath the clothes.

And that is one of the chief reasons professional ministers wear particular garb.  In ‘civilian’ clothes, I am one iteration of me; when I invest myself with other clothes, I am a different iteration of myself.  Military uniforms (including headwear) serve this particular purpose.

As a Pastor, I was deliberate in not doing the switch from one ‘me’ to another different one, so I chose to not use formal vestments.  As an Australian Baptist Pastor, that was not difficult as few wear official vestments.

As a person, I dislike suits and ties.  Why?  Because they represent, to me, the re-presentation of myself as something I am not.  It is extremely common for people to change their clothes in order to communicate a switch from one persona to another – whether that be for honourable reasons (say a Judge presiding over a Court) or for nefarious reasons (say a scammer attempting a fraud).

In our times, it is an horrific indictment on what we call the church that its ministers have been known to use their vestments as a cloak of both deception and heinous assault of trusting, perhaps gullible, members of church congregations.  It seems to escape us that every one of these causes someone somewhere to blaspheme God (see Mark 3 and Romans 2).

I think the title Viola and Barna chose for this chapter puts it well: covering up the problem.

But let’s not be quick to judge: it’s not just the ministers dressing up.  My dad was a hard, tough underground coal miner.  When he came to Christ, the local church was quick to tap him on the shoulder about wearing a suit and tie to Sunday morning services – back in the 1960s.  The fact that one of the dominant families in the church ran a local tailoring business and made and sold suits didn’t have anything to do with it I’m sure.

But I digress – turning up to church straight off the street was (and often still is) frowned upon if you’re a vagrant or just a slob.  It never seemed to matter to Jesus, but it matters to us – all too often.  But what about turning up to church in your finest looking like butter wouldn’t melt in your mouth but hiding a seething anger or resentment?  What about turning up in your Sunday best making sure your clothes cover the bruises of the past week – or your smile covers the agony?  What about dressing up in style and fashion to attract someone’s attention?

Clothes hide the truth – regardless of whether the truth is good or bad, pleasant or ugly.  There is an old saying that goes, “clothes maketh the man.”  There’s more than a grain of truth in that.

Some of the North American historical anecdotes in Pagan Chrisstianity chapter 6 are well worth reading.

But I think this is the real point here (thanks Frank and George):

Let’s face it.  As fallen humans, we are seldom willing to appear to be what we really are.  We almost always rely on our performance or dress to give people a certain impression of what we want them to believe we are.  All of this differs markedly from the simplicity that marked the early church. (p. 149)

Perhaps Paul’s instructions to Timothy in 1 Timothy 2 regarding women’s dress standards could be applied across the board and be just as important for men: “... to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.”

Where did clerical vestments come from?

Most who study this agree that the wearing of “different” clothing also came about with all the flux and flurry of the Constantine era.  Furthermore, as Viola and Barna point out, “ecclesiastical vestments” do not derive from the old testament priesthood, “It rather had its origins in the secular dress of the Greco-Roman world.” (p. 150)  And this of course kind of matched the new church buildings being erected similarly along Greco-Roman lines.

Reportedly, Clement of Alexandria urged ministers to wear better clothes than those they were ministering to and they should be white and ‘simple’.

I fully agree with Viola and Barna in their assessment:

A specially attired clergy is an affront to the spiritual principles that govern the house of God.  It strikes at the heart of the church (actually ekklesia] by separating God’s people into two classes: “professional” and “nonprofessional”. (p. 154)

Note to self: Remember, as Paul wisely noted, “By the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain” – why would I want to cover that?

No comments:

Post a Comment